Saturday, August 23, 2014

Birchbox vs. Ipsy : August 2014

Hi Everyone! It is time again for my monthly Birchbox vs. Ipsy post! If you haven't heard of these before, they are both monthly subscription services that deliver a bundle of products to you monthly. The products range from sample size, to full size, and the value of the bag always varies. Each service is $10 a month, and here I am to compare which one I enjoyed more this month!


BIRCHBOX: 
As you can see, birchbox comes in a little brown box every month. If you are interested in trying out this subscription service for yourself, you can check it out here! 

1. Amika Dry Shampoo
Full Size Value: $21 for 5.3 oz
Sample Size: 0.75 oz
Final Thoughts: Amika has the cutest packaging! I've never tried their dry shampoo, but love trying new ones. Since this is a cute little travel size with a really secure lid, I might keep this guy in my purse for emergencies! It smells fine and I'm pretty excited to see this in my Birchbox!

2. Marcelle BB Cream Golden Glow
Full Size Value: $27 for 1.6 oz
Sample Size: 0.28 oz
Final Thoughts: I swatched this on my hand and it disappeared pretty quick, which I find some BB creams often do. I will try this on my actual face soon to see if it delivers any coverage. I can't say I'm too excited about this sample since it is rather small, and I prefer foundations instead of BB cream, but I'll try it!

3. theBalm Cosmetics Stainiac in Beauty Queen
Full Size Value: $17 for .3 oz
Sample Size: .04 oz
Final Thoughts: This is a stain for cheeks or lips, and it is actually really pretty! The packaging is red, and the product is a pink/red so the appearance of the product can look intimidating but it isn't that red when applied. It is a really pretty rosy pink. I tried it on my lips and actually really liked it. I've never used a liquid stain like this on my cheeks but I am excited to try. It dried really nicely on my hand, it is just extremely pigmented so not sure how natural it will look as a blush.

4. Harvey Prince Ageless Body Creme
Full Size Value: $22 for 12oz
Sample Size: 15ml
Final Thoughts: This smells DELICIOUS. I'm really excited to throw this in my purse, and I know I'll definitely use it. It feels really nice on my hands, and again, smells so good. The scent is Grapefruit Vanilla and I really like it.

5. Cailyn Cosmetics Dizzolv'it Makeup Melt Cleansing Balm
Full Size Value: $36 for 100ml
Sample Size: 13ml
Final Thoughts: I have tried cleansing balms before and really like them. You take a small amount and apply it right to your dry face! It will slowly start dissolving all of your makeup off and leaves your skin super soft after you rinse with water. I used this particular one last night, I wasn't overly impressed, but it was nice! I will definitely use this sample up.

IPSY:
As you can see in the main picture, Ipsy delivers their products in a makeup bag monthly. I wasn't crazy about the bag this month but I usually find some kind of use, or I will pass it along to a friend!

1. Klorane Extra-Gentle Dry Shampoo
Full Size Value: $9 for 3oz
Sample Size: 1.06 oz
Final Thoughts: I've tried this dry shampoo before and I liked it. It was a little too "gentle" for me, meaning that it didn't do much in the cleaning department if my hair really needed it, but it was great for when you only need  a little dry shampoo, and created a lot of volume! I got a dry shampoo in each box this month which I thought was pretty funny!

2. Jersey Shore Sun Mongongo Anti-Aging Lip Conditioner
Full Size Value: $5.50
Sample Size: FULL SIZE
Final Thoughts: I love any kind of lip balm, so it is always a plus to see a lip balm in a subscription box. This one smells really good, the flavor is Mandarine Green Orange Ginger. It just smells like citrus to me, and is really moisturizing.

3. Urban Decay Perversion Mascara 
Full Size Value: $22
Sample Size: .1 oz, sample size.
Final Thoughts: Urban Decay is one of my favorite brands, so I was excited to see this sample. I hadn't tried this mascara before receiving it here, so that was exciting. I really liked this mascara, but I don't know that I like it enough to purchase the full size, I feel that it is too spendy for me. I was genuinely happy to see this sample though, I love receiving samples from well known brands.

4. J.Cat Single Eyeshadow in Half Naked
Full Size Value: $2.99
Sample Size: FULL SIZE
Final Thoughts: I really like this. We don't usually receive a lot of eyeshadows in subscription boxes, and often when we do, they are obnoxious colors. this is a very practical color that would be great for day-to-day wear. I haven't tried this yet but I definitely appreciate a good packaged eyeshadow, in a great neutral color.

5. Dr. Brandt Pores No More Pore Refiner Primer
Full Size Value: $45 for 1oz
Sample Size: 0.25 oz
Final Thoughts: Excited for this! I love primer samples because I wear a primer daily, and the one that I really love is $30 a bottle. Having samples laying around of primers let me to try other ones out and help my favorite primer last longer when I'm not using it daily. I haven't ever tried anything from this brand, but from the swatch on my hand I think I will really like this! By the way: this has amazing reviews on Sephora.com!

FINAL VERDICT?!
I'm going to have to call it a tie this month. If I absolutely had to pick, I would pick Ipsy, but this wasn't a great month for Ipsy. They usually have way more full size products. I am excited for about 3 products from each box, and I'm not completely turned off by any product. This month was pretty average for each box, and I'm already looking forward to what I get next month!

Want to see previous battles to see which box comes out on top?
- May
- June
- July


As always, thanks for reading
xoxo, Jaimie

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS