Sunday, March 29, 2015

Double Sided Easter Oreo Bark | Quick and Easy!

I'm back on the blog with another baking post. I love making Oreo bark during the winter, and adding candy canes to make peppermint bark. I wondered how I could tweak my recipe to get an Oreo bark for Easter. I came up with this double sided Oreo bark that is so delicious! It is extremely sweet, and looks like you have some mad baking skills (you don't need them!)

Here's what you will need:

Candy Melts (You can also use Almond Bark)
Oreos
Decorations

Yeah, that is all you will need! You can really transform this recipe depending on what occasion you are making it for, and what your family likes as a sweet treat.



Step One: 
Melt your bottom layer candy melts. I prefer to melt mine in the microwave, but some people prefer over the stove. I like my baking/cooking to be quick and easy, so the microwave is the easiest method for me. I put it in a microwave safe bowl, and warm it up in 30 second increments, mixing in between. This usually takes two minutes total.
 I decided to swirl some pink candy melt (melted in the microwave the same way) but this is an optional step.

Once your candy melts are completely mixed, you will pour it onto a baking sheet. You will then use a spatula, or the back of a spoon to smooth it out to the desired thickness that you would like. The sides don't need to be straight or even, that is really what is so great about candy bark, it doesn't have to be perfect!

Once I poured my purple candy melt on the baking sheet, I lost some of the pink swirls that I made while mixing. I decided to top it with even more pink candy melt mixture, and then swirl it around with a toothpick to make really nice swirls. Again, this doesn't have to be perfect or even, it is a very simple process that will look great once it's done!

Step Two:
Put the bottom layer in the fridge for 15 minutes. You want this layer to harden, but it doesn't need to be 100% hard. I found that 15 minutes was the perfect amount of time to pop the baking sheet in the fridge. Once I had about 5 minutes left of hardening, I started the next step.

Step Three:
Melt your top layer candy melt. I found these marshmallow flavored candy melts (amazing!!) and they worked great. I melt it the same exact way that I did the previous steps.
After it was completely melted, I added in my Oreos. I used one sleeve of Oreos from a traditional package of Oreos and just broke them into smaller pieces with my hands. I chose to use the spring Oreos, they still taste the same but have yellow cream so it tints the candy melt a little bit.

Step Four: 
Flip your bottom layer candy melt over. It should be hardened enough that you can use a spatula to get under one corner, and the rest should come right along with it. If you are having trouble flipping your candy melt layer over, then you should let it harden longer. It shouldn't be difficult, and should flip over with no problems.
 This is what it looks like flipped over. Now all of the swirly designs we made are faced down on the baking sheet, and will be the bottom of our candy bark pieces.

Step Five: 
Pour your top layer candy melt over the bottom layer that has been hardened. This layer is a little harder to smooth out since the Oreos are in there and it doesn't smooth out as easily. Just keep working with it to make sure it is smoothed out evenly. Once you get the top layer smoothed over the bottom layer, you can decorate it however you would like! You can keep it with just the Oreos, or you can add to it like I did. I added white chocolate MNM's, as well as some spring colored sprinkles.

Step Six:
After you have decorated it, you will pop it back in the fridge. This time, let it sit in there for about 25 minutes or so. This just ensures that it is completely hardened, and makes the next step a lot easier!

Step Seven:
Break the bark apart in smaller sections. This is really easy once you get started. You really just start cracking the bark. Some people like to stick a butter knife in the middle and twist it, and it will help start some cracks for them. I prefer to just start at a corner and break pieces off one by one. I love making candy bark because the sections don't have to be perfect, some pieces are large, some pieces are small, and some pieces are weird shapes, it all works out!

Here are what the two sides look like on one piece of candy bark.

So there is my candy bark recipe. You can really spice this up however you would like. I REALLY want to try doing a three layered candy bark for 4th of July with Red, White, and Blue layers, I think that would look really cool! You can add as many or as little decorations as you would like, that is what is so great about this yummy dessert. It seems like there are a lot of steps, but you can just do one layer, and it takes around 10 minutes to complete the process!



As always, thanks for reading.
xoxo, Jaimie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS