Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eye Shadow Collection : Review

Today's post is going to be a review on an eye shadow palette from the brand Too Faced. If you watch any beauty youtube videos or follow any beauty blogs, you have probably seen this palette all over the place, it has been extremely popular over the past two months it has been out! The only reason I didn't purchase this sooner to try is because of the price tag, which we will discuss later on. I finally found it on a great deal and have been playing around with it for a few weeks now that I can give a well rounded review for you!

This palette has a really fun play on being a "chocolate bar" as you can see in the picture below. It is shaped like one, and fun fact, it even smells like chocolate! Yes, it smells like chocolate. This palette is made with 100% pure cocoa powder so it smells extra yummy when you are working with it. I actually don't like chocolate and the smell doesn't disgust me or anything so if you aren't a fan of chocolate I wouldn't let the smell be a reason that you decide not to purchase this. 
It has a magnetic feature that allows it to open and close, and the packaging is very sturdy. It has a mirror inside, and comes with a plastic film that tells you all of the colors. I usually throw away these plastic films, but there is no other place on the palette that tells you the names of the colors so I have to keep it. That part is a little annoying to me, but that's just me! It really isn't that big of a deal.
The colors all have the cutest names such as "White Chocolate, Amaretto, Triple Fudge, Creme Brûlée" and many other sweet names. Like I said above, in order to know the exact names you have to keep the plastic film inside the palette. 
Alright, so down to the details. This palette has 16 colors. Some of the colors are completely matte, some are more of a frost shadow container a very even shimmer, and others are a little more on the glittery side. A few of the shades have amazing pigmentation (swatches below) and others were a little chunky and uneven. Below I will break down the shades one by one letting you know how they felt, and which ones are my favorite! I swatched from the top to the bottom, left to right.

1. Gilded Ganache
This color is a really dark chocolate brown. It has quite a bit of fall out when I swatch it, but nothing major. This color also has shimmer to it, which might not be very visible in the swatch, but you can definitely see the shimmer in the palette itself. I haven't personally worked with this color yet, but it looks like a really good color for a darker night time look!
2. Salted Caramel
This color is one of my favorites. It is a matte brown with a warm tone that has hints of being a camel orange color. It has really great color payoff for being a light brown, and it blends beautifully. I have used this with many different looks that I have created so far with this palette. I use it as my main transition color in my crease which just helps all of the other shadows blend together seamlessly. If you are familiar with MAC Soft Brown shadow, this is a little lighter than the MAC shadow. 
3. Hazlenut
This is also another favorite of mine out of the palette. It is a medium bronze color that is a shimmer shadow. It blends really nicely and is very pigmented. It is a really smooth, and rich color, would be great for all over the lid for a darker look. Love this one! 
4. White Chocolate
White Chocolate is one of the two bigger shadows in the palette, and is one of the "highlighting" shadows. This is a creamy pale beige color. It isn't a stark white color, but is as close to white as it gets while still being a "beige" color. It is perfect to highlight the brow bone and the inner corner, and it contains no shimmer or glitter, completely matte. I've been using this one with every look. 
5. Marzipan
This has been my #1 favorite color in the palette so far. I have been putting it all over my lid and then playing around with darker colors in the crease. It is a beautiful peachy-orange color that has a slightly metallic finish. It is the perfect formula that creates a natural sheen that doesn't look glittery, or shimmery. If you are familiar with MAC All That Glitters, this shadow isn't quite as dark. 
6. Creme Brûlée
This is a golden shadow, but a darker gold without the super yellow undertones that most gold shadows have. This shade has really good pigmentation, and blends really nicely also. I have used this a few times since owning the palette and it looks great with brown eyes! 
7. Semi Sweet
This shadow is a medium-dark brown color that is a matte finish. This makes another good transition color when you are working with darker looks. It is a little harder to blend than the other matte shadows in this palette, but it isn't anything that makes me not want to reach for that color. It has a great color payoff and really darkens any look! A lot of people are familiar with MAC Brown Script, which has more red undertones than this shade does and is a few shades darker. 
8. Haute Chocolate
This is another really great color. It is a chocolate brown color that has a little bit of a red undertone, and also has a frosted finish. It is really similar to the shade Hazlenut which is #3 on this list, just a few shades darker. It has great color payoff and blends great! 
9. Milk Chocolate
This has been my go to blending color in the palette. I use this color as a beginning transition color, and also to finish off any look to ensure that it is well blended. I was actually surprised at how badly it swatched, because it barely looks pigmented, but it works really well as a subtle blending color. 
10. Strawberry Bon Bon
This color scares me! I have a hard time working with pink colors on my eyes, but I am determined to incorporate this into one of my looks soon! It has great pigmentation, and it is a matte finish. It is a really nice milky pink color, with a cool undertone. 
11. Cherry Cordial
This color is gorgeous, it is a warm toned shadow that is a dark brown color with a little bit of plum color incorporated. This is one of the shadows that has actual glitter over a matte base, but it isn't super noticeable when you swatch it or work with it. 
12. Black Forest Truffle
This is the other shadow that has prominent glitter in it, which I am not usually a fan of but it isn't super noticeable when you swatch these colors. It is a dark brown color with burgundy and bronze incorporated into it. This color didn't have the best texture or provide the best pigmentation, the swatch above took a few tries. Overall though, it is a beautiful and unique shade. 
13. Candied Violet
This is the third shadow that contains glitter, and this one is a cool toned violet shade. It had good pigmentation, and has a slightly gray tone to the violet which makes it a little easier to work with. 
14. Triple Fudge
This is another matte shade, and the darkest in the palette. It is a deep dark brown with a little bit of a forest green undertone, nothing too noticeable. It has great pigmentation and can definitely be built up for a more opaque finish like the swatch above. It was one of the shadows in the palette that had a slightly chalky feel to it, but still blended well. Out of the matte finish shadows, this one was my least favorite if we were just focusing on the formula.  
15. Amaretto
I'm obsessed with this color!! It has a frosted sheen to the shadow and it is a medium-dark brown with red undertones. It is so buttery and easily has amazing pigmentation. I have loved this shadow and it is my #2 favorite I think! MAC Her Cocoa is pretty much the same exact shadow if you are familiar with that one. 
16. Champagne Truffle
This is the other one of the larger shadows in the palette, intended for highlighting. It is a pink toned white color (that doesn't make sense, but the best way to explain it!) It has a metallic sheen to it, so if you prefer a shimmery highlight, then this palette gives you that option as well! 


Overall Review: 
Alright, so now the part you all are waiting for, is this worth it?! Well, this palette retails for $49.00 in the US, which is pretty standard for the high end palettes containing over 10 shadows. When I initially saw this palette being released, it didn't look like anything that I needed since I own quite a few palettes. I didn't want to spend $50 for a palette similar to my others.

I luckily got this on an amazing deal (no longer available, sorry), and that is the only reason I ordered this palette. I do really enjoy it, and I am really glad I have it, but I don't feel like it is unlike any other colors I already own. I have all of the Naked Palettes, the Lorac Pro palette, and a few MAC palettes. If you own any palettes similar to those, then I don't think that you will be blown away by this palette.

I will say, if you can ever find this on sale around the holidays or on QVC or HSN (where I got mine), then I'd definitely get one if it is on sale! If you don't own any palettes, then this is a great one that offers multiple different looks you can achieve and has a lot of the basic colors that any palette would have. If you are looking for a good first palette, this would definitely be up your alley! 


Hopefully this helped you determine whether or not this palette is for you, or at least you just got to look at some pretty colors for 5 minutes! What is your holy grail palette? Are there any palettes out there that I should be trying? Let me know!!



As always, thanks for reading!
Jaimie






3 comments:

  1. You now have me wanting a makeover and chocolate!! Love those colors. I prefer the colors 1-8 but I think having the others would add a bit of pop to my nearly neutral tones that I usually use. Thanks for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks for stopping by Anne :) I feel the same way, the last half kind of scare me but they are good colors to have in my stash :) Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. If you are looking for a solid contextual ad network, I recommend you try Clicksor.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS