Thursday, June 5, 2014

Manicure Disasters - How to Avoid and Fix Them!

I paint my nail about once a week and so I have encountered ever manicure disaster that you can think of. I have found pretty simple solutions for the most common nail fails so hopefully my quick tips and tricks can help your next at-home mani go smooth!



Problem #1 : "I smudged my nail polish before it dried!!"

This is not as big of a problem as it appears. I've read in magazines to use your tongue to kind of push the smudge back to its original position, but I just lick my finger and use that finger to again kind of push the smudge back into place. Try to be as gentle as you can during this so you don't make the smudge worse. If it is still really noticeable after you fix it, another thin layer of polish might help you, but depending on how dry your nails already were, sometimes an extra thin layer can make the smudge more noticeable. At that point, if you're just making it worse, you're probably better off removing that nail and re-painting it, but the finger lick usually works perfectly for me!!


Problem #2 : "My nail polish chipped!"

Okay so this problem is a little more major than problem #1, but it also can be fixed a few different ways! To prevent this from happening, make sure you are using a good top coat after your nail polish application. I use this one, but also love this one from the drugstore. To continue the preventative measures, you can apply a thin layer of the top coat every few days over your existing polish. The key word is thin, because you don't want to build up too much polish on the nail because then one small chip can lead to the whole layer of polish on the nail just peeling off.

If you have done all of that and still got a chip in your nail polish, you can either choose to just apply your color of nail polish to "fake it until you make it" for the rest of your manicure life. If you have a color on from the salon that you don't own at home, just cover that nail with an accent color! Put a layer of glitter polish over the chipped nail, and match that on the opposing hand. Accent nails are really popular and it doesn't matter what finger it is on!


Problem #3 : "I get polish ALL over my fingers while painting!" 

Two solutions here, one is a little more complicated, but gives perfect results. The second option is more realistic and I find myself doing option #2 on the regular.

Option #1. Pour some nail polish remover into the cap of the nail polish, or into a small container (make sure that acetone won't ruin whatever container you use). Use a small paint brush, or makeup brush (you can find them SUPER cheap at Walmart or Joanns. I use the smallest paint brush I can find and if I make any mistakes I dip the brush into the nail polish and literally just paint over the polish on my skin with that and it removes it pretty easy!

Option #2. Paint your fingers first, and save your thumbs for last. I paint my right hand (except for the thumb) and then my left hand (except for the thumb). This allows for my thumb nails to be free to kind of clean up the nail if I got any excess nail polish on my cuticle.

I would recommend option #1 if you are new at painting your nails or if you get a lot of product on the skin, if you only make a little bit of a mess on every few nails, then go with option #2 and paint your thumbs last!

Problem #4: "I can't get my glitter nail polish off!"

Easy. Copy the salon and use the tin foil method! Coat a cotton ball (I rip in half) or cotton pad in nail polish remover, set on the nail and wrap little pieces of tin foil around that to really push the cotton ball into the nail. Let that sit for 5 minutes and then you should be able to remove it right away with a swipe! If it doesn't swipe right off, you can use a cuticle pusher to help push the polish off, or just try soaking for a little longer! (this also works pretty good for gel polish!)

Problem #5 "My favorite nail polish bottle won't open!" 

We've all been there before when you feel like the weakest girl on the block because you can't get your nail polish bottle open, but it is usually happens to nail polish bottles that are getting a little on the old side. This usually happens from polish being all over the top of the bottle, which soon dries to a tacky finish leaving the cap hard to remove. You can take nail polish remover on a cotton pad and try to remove any excess polish that might be hanging around the outside. If that doesn't do the trick, soak the nail polish bottle upside in hot water. Make sure it is closed good though and it shouldn't take long! : )


I hope these tricks helped you, I have learned them all over the years from various sources and I use them all of the time!

As always, thanks for reading!
Jaimie

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS