Thursday, May 15, 2014

Birchbox VS. Ipsy - May 2014

Hey everyone! 
So today's post is going to be all about subscription services. If you haven't ever heard of a beauty subscription service, it is a program that you pay for monthly, and a box of sample, deluxe, or sometimes full sized products show up in a box! The original company that started this was Birchbox, and now you can find SO many different services that all offer different benefits. 

On the market right now in the US, there are two subscription boxes that run you $10 a month. This is the cheapest subscription price out there for a beauty box. Other subscription services on the market are upwards from $15 to $50. The two subscription services at that price are Birchbox and Ipsy. They both cost $10 a month and you get a box delivered to you with 4-6 beauty products. They are completely random, and some months are definitely better than others, but that is the fun of subscribing to one of these services! 


I will say right off the bat that Birchbox tends to send "higher-end" samples, but the sample sizes are often a lot smaller than Ipsy. One great thing I love about Birchbox is that they have a great reward program online. If you go review the products in your box, you get points added to your account in which you can put toward purchases on their site. Ipsy has a similar reward system but the items you can purchase with the reward aren't near as great as Birchbox. 

*Keep in mind, everyone's box is different. You are prompted to take a "beauty quiz" when signing up for each site that helps pick the best products for you. So this isn't promising these products will be in each box, just comparing the values between the two boxes*


Birchbox: What was in mine?

1. CoTZ Natural Skin Tone SPF 40
Full Size Value - $20 for 1.5oz
Sample Size - 2g. 
Verdict - This was a super small sample, I could probably get 2 or 3 days use out of this sunscreen. 
I checked it out on Ulta and it actually gets great reviews as a really good sunscreen so I will be using this, but again, really small sample.

2. Nexxus Color Assure Primer, Shampoo, and Conditioner
Full Size Value - $11.99, $17.99, $17.99
Sample Size - 0.3 oz
Verdict - I can't stand foil packets, especially for shampoo.
 I rarely find myself using them, and they just sit in a drawer. 
Birchbox is known for sending foil packets, and I cringe in my seat when I see them in my box. 

3. Pixi Shea Butter Lip Balm in Pixi Pink
Full Size Value - $8
Sample Size - FULL SIZE
Verdict - I'm excited about this! It is a really pretty shade of pink, and I have a crazy obsession with lip balm. This is worth $8 and I paid $10 for the box so this helps with the worth in my eyes. This was my favorite product in the box this month.

4. 32 Oral Care Effervescent Breath Crystals
Full Size Value - $9.99 for a pack of 15 packets
Sample Size - 2 packets
Verdict - I've never heard of these. The directions say to swish around in your mouth until they begin to pop. Interesting, but I will definitely get use out of them.

5. Marcelle 8 in 1 Power Serum
Full Size Value - $34
Sample Size - 0.24 oz
Verdict - I loooove serums, I will try any new ones that I get and I'm excited to try this one. It is another pretty small sample, but I could at least get a weeks use out of it. Not my favorite product, but not a total bust.


Ipsy : What was in mine? 

*as you can see, Ipsy generally gives much larger sized products. 

1. Olive Natural Beauty Olive Lip Balm
Full Size Value - $5.95
Sample Size - FULL SIZE!
Verdict - Can't complain about a lip balm ;) This is a good one to throw in the purse. Smells pretty good!

2. Pacifica Eye Shadow Duo
Full Size Value - ?? Can't find this product online anywhere.
Sample Size - I'm assuming this is full size
Verdict - They are really neutral colors that I can definitely get use out of.

3. Hang Ten Classic Sport SPF 50
Full Size Value - $12.99 for 5 oz
Sample Size - 1 oz
Verdict - Kind of ironic to get a sun screen in each box! I wear SPF daily though, so I'll definitely get use out of this. 

4. Eva NYC Therapy Session Hair Mask
Full Size Value - $12.99
Sample Size - FULL SIZE! 
Verdict - I'm really excited to try this! It is a big enough sample to get multiple uses out of it, and I took a quick peek at the ingredients and it looks really interesting!

5. Avene Thermal Spring Water
Full Size Value - $18.00 for 10 oz
Sample Size - 2 oz
Verdict - I love spring water! I received the spring water from Evian to review around 6 months ago and I love it! It is so refreshing and I love adding it into my skincare routine! I'm definitely excited to try a new brand!

Overall Verdict?!
For May 2014, Ipsy won the battle for me. The products were way bigger, and appealed to me more. Although, you never know what next month will bring :) 


Thanks for reading!
Jaimie 



No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS