Sunday, October 26, 2014

True Life : I'm Addicted to Lip Balm

When a normal person thinks about lip balm, they probably think that you just need one tube of chapstick, and when you run out you will buy another one. Right? Wrong.

Me, being totally not normal, think that I instead need a million different kinds, and always have 3-4 on me to choose from. I promise it all makes sense in my mind, but I have a serious obsession with chapstick/lip balm/lip treatments of any kind. Today I'm going to talk about the ones that I love and which ones are worth the splurge. These are in no particular order, I instead sorted them by purpose (because there is many purposes to chapstick, right?) Right.


Day to Day Chapstick:

For day to day, I don't like anything too heavy. Heavier lip balms (which we will dive into later) can often look like you have a lot of medication on your lips, and it isn't a good look.



1. Sugar Advanced Therapy by Fresh
My number one favorite, this baby. It is such an amazing lip balm. It is so luxurious, and worth every penny. I haven't gone through a whole tube yet but will repurchase when I do. It is a little more on the medicated side of lip balm, instead of just being fruity and smell good. This is really great in the winter, and when applied consistently can really help my dry lips. It has a really nice lemon-lime type smell, and it is my absolute favorite!!

2. Nivea Olive Oil & Lemon
If I had to recommend a single lip balm that you could pick up from a drugstore, this would be it! Nivea makes really great lip balms, that feel really nice, but are super affordable. This is a very practical day to day lip balm since it is so cheap, but still delivers really great moisture. I love every flavor they have in this line, the Milk and Honey one is really great!

3. Baby Lips Dr. Rescue by Maybelline
This is really similar to the one above. Great quality, for a cheap price. It is more of a "treatment" lip balm, so again it is really great in the winter. I don't like the normal Maybelline Baby Lips line, but the Dr. Rescue line is actually pretty great!

4. Noya lip balm in Cherry
I got this lip balm in an Ipsy bag along time ago, and I love it so much. It is the smoothest lip balm ever, and smells sooooo good of cherry. It is an all natural brand, and I believe you can only order from their website. Obviously I don't need any more lip balm, but I wouldn't be disappointed if I received another one from Noya in a future Ipsy bag.

Overnight Treatments:

If you really want to take good care of your lips, it is important to apply lip balm before you go to sleep at night. A regular lip balm will do great things for your lips, but one targeted for overnight treatment is what is really going to make a difference in the dryness and hydration of your lips.




1. Agave Lip Mask by Bite Beauty
My favorite in this category. I actually have an entire review of this lip balm (my first blog post ever), so you can read that here. But I will sum it up by saying, it is worth every penny, and really helps my lips stay moisturized through the night even though I sleep with a fan on, and I breathe through my mouth, which are two things guaranteed to dry your lips out.

2. Yes to Coconuts Hydrate and Restore Lip Oil
This is more of an oil, than a "mask" like the one above. It is a really great affordable option, that can still help you keep that moisture overnight. This is under $10 in the drugstore, smells great, and really feels good on the lips. Every once in a while I will switch it up and use this one, and I'm surprised at the similarities it has to the mask above. My lips are pretty hydrated in the morning, not as much as with the Agave Mask, but it is also a third of the price.

3. Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm in Natural Mint
They have a few different flavors in this, they are yummy. Available at Ulta, and fairly affordable, this is a great option for anyone wanting to purchase their first medicated lip balm. It is also a skincare line targeted for men, so it is a great one to get your man to use to keep his lips nice and soft too!

4. Philosophy Kiss Me Tonight
This was my first overnight lip balm I purchased. It actually is almost gone, but I kept the container because I knew I was doing this post soon. It is another spendy one, but I can say that it is worth the money. It smells good, feels good, and is still working when you wake up in the morning. I truly believe you get what you pay for, and when you are looking for something to hydrate your lips for 8+ hours, it's worth the splurge.

Potted Lip Balms:

Some lip balms come in the form of a pot, which requires you to use your finger to dig out the product. Some people don't like this form of lip balm, but I love it. I usually apply one of these right when I wake up as I'm getting ready. They are usually heavier than a day to day chapstick, but not as heavy as an overnight balm.


1. Christian Dior Creme De Rose
I just got a few weeks ago, so I feel a little hypocritical including this here, but I can already tell that I love it. It smells like roses, which is so luxurious, and it feels amazing on my lips. I've applied it every morning since I've got it, and I really love it. It is definitely a luxury product, and I can't quite say if it is worth the money yet since I just received it, but it has AMAZING reviews so I'm looking forward to using it more.

2. C.O. Bigelow Rose Salve
This is actually a multi purpose salve, that can be used for dry skin anywhere. On your knees, elbows, cuticles, or face. I love it as a lip balm, and a cuticle balm. It is really cheap, and great that it is multipurpose! It is a great comparison to the Dior one above. Obviously not as great quality, it is a sixth of the price, but it is still great and I'd recommend it! I got mine at Sephora, it is around $5.

3. Elf Conditioning Lip Balm
I love this, it smells amazing and feels amazing. As you can tell, I have higher end lip balms, so this $3 lip balm doesn't really stand a chance. As far as recommending it to somebody though, it is really great! I will admit I barely reach for it, because I have so many options, but it is so great for the price point. I believe they have different colors too, mine is a nude color.

4. The Body Shop Lip Butters in Mango and Coconut
If you ever want a product that smells TRULY like it is called, then you should make your way to your nearest Body Shop. Their products are so true to smell, they are too fun not to use. This mango lip butter smells so strong of mangoes, and they are equally amazing quality.


Lip Scrubs:

I think it is important to know that if you are suffering from dry cracked lips, lip balm can only do so much. You really need to scrub off the dead skin and dry skin, and then start being consistent with moisturizing. Picture a wall with pieces of old wallpaper on it, you wouldn't paint over that and expect the pieces of wallpaper to disappear would you? Same with your lips, you need to scrub your lips so you can proceed with moisturizing healthy lips. I have only tried a few, but I'm sure there are many amazing ones out there. It doesn't need to be fancy, it just needs to be rough enough to scrub your lips and convenient enough that you'll actually use it.

1. Philosophy Peppermint Stick Lip Scrub
This is my favorite lip scrub. I find that I use it the most because it smells good, and works good. I love making a DIY lip scrub (you will see down below), but sometimes you just don't have the time and need something quick.

2. DIY Vanilla Brown Sugar Scrub
I love this scrub, it is amazing. Like I said above though, sometimes you just don't have the time to make a lip scrub. This one is extremely easy, I have an entire blog post about it, you can check it out here if you want to know how to make it!



Well there you have it, my favorite lip treating products! Obviously I'm a little obsessed with soft lips, but I feel like everyone should! If you want to take some steps to healthier lips, you don't have to splurge on these products. Here is an easy routine to get your lips back to healthy.

1. SCRUB - This is essential. You can DIY one (linked above) with products already in your pantry. Or simply use a toothbrush with some warm water and sugar. It doesn't take a luxury scrub, your lips just need scrubbed.

2. MOISTURIZE - that is it. You need to moisturize before your lips go dry. It is just like drinking water, if you feel thirsty, you have gone too long without water. If your lips get dry, you've gone too long without balm. Find one that you like and is convenient for you, and apply it. That is all there is to it :)


As always, thanks for reading
xoxo, jaimie

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS